Positions Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
Under the direction of a Registered Nurse is responsible for assisting surgeons, anesthesiologist, and nurses in the care of patients in the operating room.
This Job Description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Associates may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Maintains knowledge and practice of aseptic technique.
- Assist the circulating nurse in the preparation of surgical procedure and during turnovers between procedures.
- Prepares sterile field for surgical procedures, ensuring proper instruments and supplies are available for use.
- During the surgical procedure: 1) Anticipates needs for surgeon and the passing of instruments and supplies, 2) Obtains counts with circulating nurse. 3) Cares for specimens according to procedure, 4) Maintains proper care of instruments/supplies when procedure is finished, and 5) Functions as second assisting technologist, the second assisting surgical technologist assists the surgeon and/or first assistant during the operative procedure by carrying out technical tasks. This function does not suture, clamp, dissect and/or insert probes or other instruments into a body cavity.
- Maintains equipment, supplies, and environmental safety.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends in surgical procedures and instrumentation.
- Maintains standards by participating in in-services, committees and etc.
- Functions as preceptor to new Associates and students.
|Work Experience||Previous surg tech experience preferred|
|Education||Certification by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) BLS from the American Heart Association High School Diploma/GED Completion of accredited course in surgical technology. Associates degree preferred|
|Specialized Knowledge and Skills||Skilled in utilizing a variety of surgical equipment and instrumentation. Interpersonal skills to effectively and appropriately communicate with patients, families, physicians and other Hospital Associates. Ability to demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide care based on physical, psycho/social, educational, safety and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients serviced in her/his assigned service area as related to the principle duties and responsibilities of the position|
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: