Sparrow Health System
Sparrow Specialty Hospital Long Term Acute Care
Positions Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
The Registered Nurse provides professional nursing services for the care and treatment of patients. The Registered Nurse assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates individual patient care in a nursing department according to hospital policies, procedures and standards of care. Accepts responsibility for the supervision and direction of co-workers in the implementation of the nursing care plan. May be required to work in other departments according to patient/staffing needs. Performs other duties as assigned.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Associates may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Assesses patient condition including ongoing head to toe assessments and initiates appropriate nursing and/or medical care in accordance with established guidelines.
- Coordinates and performs basic nursing care including patient hygiene, skin care, positioning, vital signs, pulmonary hygiene, feeding and monitoring of labs/x-ray test and results, toileting and recording intake and output.
- Performs nursing activities in accordance with hospital policies and procedures, Michigan Public Health Code and ANA Scope and Standards of Practice.
- Compliance with Infection Control Standards, including Standard/Universal Precautions, Hand Hygiene and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Develops, evaluates, updates and implements plan of care based upon the assessment of the patient.
- Identifies goals for discharge and actions to meet goals. Includes a working knowledge of discharge windows and discharge plans.
- Documents assessment, plan, care provided, and response of the patient in the medical record, appropriately.
- Delegates and directs specifics of care plan to Patient Care Technician or other health care workers according to those Caregivers’ scope of practice.
- Engages in patient/family teaching.
- Reports pertinent data of patient’s condition to charge nurse, physician, supervisor, and other medical personnel, as appropriate.
- Acts as liaison between members of the health care team, patient, and patient’s family.
- Assumes preceptor role for new Caregivers and/or nursing students in conjunction with the nursing instructor.
- Administers medications, performs diagnostic procedures and treatments in accordance with Hospital policies and procedures.
- Administers and monitors blood product administration.
- Maintains IV access.
- Monitors and interprets telemetry for appropriate patients.
- Assesses and monitors patient nutritional status.
- Takes telephone orders from physicians’ per policy using “read back” requirement.
- Notes physicians’ orders on chart per policy and checks medication administration record for accuracy.
- Responds to call lights in a timely fashion.
- Provides Telemetry monitoring.
- Passes and collects meal trays and coordinates assistance with feeding.
- Responsibility for hourly rounding.
- Maintains equipment, supplies, and environmental safety.
- Demonstrates knowledge and use of unit specific equipment and appropriate supplies used to deliver the highest quality patient care.
- Coordinates admissions and discharges of assigned patients.
- Completes occurrence reports as necessary and reports to Charge RN or Supervisor.
- Participates in the accreditation process.
- Participates in the planning, implementation and evaluation of quality improvement activities within department, health system and/or community.
- Follows established HIPAA privacy procedures when using and/or disclosing protected health information.
- Maintains and protects patients rights under the HIPAA Privacy Standards.
- Accountability for maintaining a Healthy Work Environment by adhering to the “Commitment to my Co-workers” principles.
- Compliance with mandatory job related requirements (i.e. staff meetings, in-services, annual competencies and TB testing).
- Maintains knowledge of current trends in area of expertise and provides evidence of current competencies. .
- Performs other duties as assigned.
|Specialized Knowledge and Skills|
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: