Sparrow Health System
Licensed Practical Nurse
General Purpose of Job:
The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) provides basic nursing services for the care and treatment of patients under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN). The LPN assesses, plans and implements individual patient care in a nursing department according to Nursing Services policies, procedures and standards of care.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Associates may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Assess patient condition and initiate appropriate nursing and/or medical care in collaboration with an RN.
- Provides basic care and tasks as directed by an RN.
- Performs specific patient procedures and treatments according to Hospital policies.
- Documents care given and patient response in patient record.
- Cleans and maintains equipment and environment.
- Demonstrates knowledge and use of appropriate equipment and supplies to provide quality patient care.
- Communicates significant information and changes in patient condition to the RN.
- Actively participates as a team member. Constructively addresses patient and team issues to insure quality patient care and a collaborative work environment.
- In collaboration with the RN, assesses patient condition and initiates appropriate nursing care according to evidence-based policies and guidelines.
- In collaboration with the RN, assists with the development of the nursing care plan.
- Implements the nursing plan of care as delegated by the RN.
- Acts as a liaison between members of the health care team, patient and patients family. Participates in patient/family teaching as delegated by the RN.
- Administers medications, performs diagnostic procedures and treatments according to evidence-based policies and procedures.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends in nursing and provides evidence of clinical competency.
- Participates in the planning, implementation and evaluation of departmental and hospital performance improvement programs.
|General Requirements||* Demonstrates knowledge and maintains and respects patient right to privacy by following the HIPAA Privacy and Security policies and procedures.|
* Adheres to ICARE values and standards of behavior (Innovation, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence).
* Role model behaviors that value the diversity of our associates, patients and customers and supports creating an environment that is inclusive, welcoming and respectful.
* Communicates with patients, families and customers using AIDET (Acknowledge, Introduce, Duration, Explanation, Thank).
* Works in a safe manner and promptly reports any hazards identified in the work environment or related to assigned responsibilities.
|Work Experience||* none|
|Education||* Graduate of an accredited program for training Licensed Practical Nurses.|
* Current Michigan permit or license to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse.
* Basic life support (BLS) within 60 days of hire
|Specialized Knowledge and Skills||* Clinical knowledge and ability necessary to formulate effective nursing care plans as evidenced by completion of unit specific skills check list and adherence to Family Medicine nursing standards.|
* Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate with patients, families, physicians, and other health system caregivers/departments.
* Able to demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide care based on physical, psycho/social, educational safety and related criteria appropriate to the age of the patients serviced in his/her assigned service area.
* Demonstrates ability to use a keyboard as may be required to perform the essential duties of the job.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: