Positions Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
The primary function of the Director of Surgical Services is to provide leadership and direction for Surgical Service areas by ensuring that quality, cost-effective, and compassionate care is provided to patients, their families/significant others, and customers. S/he, in collaboration with the Chief Nursing Officer, other Vice-Presidents, Directors, Department Managers, Caregivers, and Medical Staff, translates the Hospital and Health System strategic vision and plan into a clinical practice vision and plan for Surgical Services.
The Director of Surgical Services is responsible for the management functions of planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, and communicating for the Surgical and anaesthesia departments. S/he is responsible for the recruitment, selection, and development of their specific nursing administrative team. The Director of Surgical Services is the primary liaison within the Sparrow health care system for those areas delineated on the Organizational Chart. In addition, the Director represents the Hospital and Health System at various nursing meetings and by being a member of various nursing organizations.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Caregivers may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Provides leadership for Surgical Services.
- Represents Surgical Services to the Chief Nursing Officer, Department Managers, Caregivers, and Medical Staff.
- Participates in the development of the institution’s long-range strategic plan and annual operating and financial plans as applied to Surgical Services.
- Contributes to the development of the Division of Nursing’s long-range clinical practice plan.
- Provides information and advises the Chief Nursing Officer regarding current and projected nursing trends, areas of deficiency, and significant activities in the nursing profession as applicable to surgical nursing.
- Facilitates the development of a collaborative relationship between the medical and nursing staff.
- Represents the Hospital and Health System in the community, educational institutions, and professional nursing organizations.
- Serves as administrative liaison to assigned Health System areas.
- Provides direction in the management of Surgical Services.
- Maintains full compliance with all regulatory agencies by continually monitoring the nursing service operations and initiating change where appropriate in the Surgical Services including the Corporate Compliance Plan.
- In collaboration with the Chief Nursing Officer, develops a nursing climate and culture which is consistent in the mission and values of the organization and communicates the mission and vision throughout the Surgical Services area.
- Promotes consistent, open, two-way communication through Surgical Services and across the organization.
- Promotes nursing education and research efforts for Surgical Services and serves as the nursing liaison with affiliated nursing educational programs.
- In conjunction with the Chief Nursing Officer and the Nursing Management Team, develops short and long term goals for decentralizing Nursing Services that support and reflect the Hospital Strategic Plan and enhance nursing practice. Develops plans to achieve goals.
- In conjunction with the Department Managers, develops short and long term goals for a Division of Nursing that support and reflect the goals of decentralized Nursing Services and the Hospital Strategic Plan. Develops and coordinates plans to achieve divisional goals.
- Selects, orients, mentors, and evaluates Department Managers. Assists in the ongoing assessment and development of Department Managers. Provides support, counseling, advice, and guidance in such areas as: nursing practices, Caregiver development, performance evaluation, conflict resolution, department policies, change process, problem-solving and clinical service plan/business plan development. Develops mutually agreed-upon goals and objectives that correlate the department and division with Nursing Services and the Hospital Strategic Plan.
- Consults and advises Department Managers on a regular basis; Evaluates performance based on mutually agreed-upon expectations: Evaluates competency of the nursing staff and makes appropriate changes as needed; seeks to maintain high Caregiver morale and a professional healthful, positive atmosphere and environment in the surgical arena.
- In conjunction with the Department Managers, prepares annual budget for a division and monitors compliance to the budget. Assesses and analyzes nursing care delivery systems/practices, and their cost-effectiveness.
- Continually monitors quality and customer satisfaction within the surgical division and initiates changes to ensure ongoing improvement in all areas.
- Provides assistance to supervisory personnel in establishing clear department role statements and objectives, determining staffing needs and standards of productivity, establishing policies and procedures and appropriate nursing care delivery systems with corresponding position descriptions, and complying with state licensing boards within the division of Surgical Services.
- Assists with the development and implementation of special projects.
- The Director of Surgical Services is authorized to take any reasonable action satisfying these assigned responsibilities, subject to the limitations expressed in this position description, existing policy, practice or procedure within the strategic and operating plan, or on the direction of the Chief Nursing Officer.
- Partner with the Medical Director of Perioperative Surgical Home and the Medical Director of Anesthesia Services (2 roles)
- Co-Lead with the above roles for the Integrated Anesthesia Team (a new committee per the contract)
|General Requirements||Current Michigan Registered Nurse License
Certification as Nurse Executive preferred
|Work Experience||Successful experience within the last five (5) years in a comparable Surgical setting, in a leadership position, demonstrating the managerial role: leading, planning, organization, staffing, communication, and evaluating.
Active involvement in the development and implementation of clinical service plans related to anesthesia and surgical patients such as: Surgery, Post-Anesthesia Unit, or Outpatient Surgery.
A variety of nursing clinical experiences such as: patient care, quality improvement, infection control, education, research, etc. Knowledge of current trends, practices, and issues related to Surgical nursing.
Magnet experience preferred
MSN ore Master’s in health care preferred
|Specialized Knowledge and Skills||Demonstrates collaborative ability to work in partnership with physicians. Active participation in physician executive committees, task forces, meetings, recruitment efforts, and the like, that resulted in collaborative action and/or decision-making related to Surgical Services clinical areas.|
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: