Position’s Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
Represents Hospital Administration during emergency/crisis situation, until Hospital Administrator is contacted or arrives. Serves as a liaison for Administration on off shift hours. Serves as a resource to insure continuity of care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Facilitates Patient Throughput and Staffing.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Caregivers may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- In collaboration with Department Managers, Directors, Staffing Office and Patient Placement, supervises the work of charge nurses, and ADM’s to ensure that departments are properly staffed.
- Monitors Patient Throughput by rounding on the nursing units, ED, PACU, Cath Lab and any other areas of concerns. Facilitate removing barriers.
- Ensures an adequate level of patient care by making periodic rounds, investigating and resolving complaints.
- Represents Hospital Administration and interprets hospital policies and procedures to caregivers, patients, and visitors, investigates and resolves complaints from caregivers, patients, patients’ families, and physicians.
- Assists during emergencies by: Serves as Incident Commander until an administrator arrives, disseminates available resources for direct patient care, obtains emergency supplies as necessary, works with Patient Placement to place patients, communicates appropriate information with caregivers, visitors and patients.
- Reviews irregular incidents and ensures that patients are properly cared for, physicians notified, and corrective action taken when necessary.
- Makes recommendations regarding nursing services policies and procedures via participation in Supervisors staff meetings. Maintains professional standards in in-services, committees, etc.
- Responsible for such personnel activities as documenting employee performance, evaluating behavior inconsistent with Hospital values, policies and procedures, and reporting to appropriate manager.
- Acts as a resource person to nursing caregivers to facilitate problem-solving related to nursing care and interpersonal relationships.
- Responsible for ensuring quality care with effective use of resources, evaluating cost-effectiveness of delivery systems and justifying staffing patterns.
- Serves as a role model for consistent demonstration of Sparrow Health System’s Customer Service Behavioral Standards for Performance, by respecting the Privacy and Confidentiality of those we serve.
- Demonstrates knowledge and respects patient, service provider, and organizational confidentiality and HIPAA Security procedures and protocols as defined under the HIPAA Privacy and Security Procedures.
- Follows established HIPPA privacy procedures when using/or disclosing protected health information.
- Maintains and protects patient rights under HIPAA Privacy Standards.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends in nursing.
- Keeps senior leadership informed of unusual situations.
- Performs additional duties as assigned
|Specialized Knowledge and Skills||
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.